Monday, March 13, 2017

The Masks that Wear Me

Your strengths and supports*

What encouraging things have you been told about your character, your skills, your dreams and your goals?

Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)

My character are me, of course they are. I mean, they don't spring fully armed from my mind, but they are recognizable. Sometimes, they are my darker side, or my weaker self. But they are just me. And of course, they are the parts of other people that are me as well.

So it is with some gratification that my readers (such as they are) have fallen in love with my characters. So in a way, they have fallen in love with a little bit of me as well.

I love it when readers laugh where I said something funny, or when the choke up a little at something that brought a tear as I wrote it. They are shocked when the twists come, They are demanding for more when the end comes. They say that writers only write for themselves, but really, they write for the connections their readers make with them.

And their friends are their characters. I understand why writers say that their characters behave in unpredictable ways. Because, in essence, they are playing roles through their characters that they could never in reality, and so wear the masks of Saturnalia to disguise their deeds.

My friends (the one's with physical bodies) love that I am writing, They love what I am writing. They want me to keep writing, to keep adding to the stories. They have been waiting patiently for the sequel to my first novel. Oh so patiently.

But my muses have gone silent. They are standing in from of my mind's eye, insisting I explore some deeper part of my own psyche, asking the questions that all of want answered.

Do I matter? What does it mean? Is there a beneficent power guiding the universe with a gentle hand? Are we really alone? Do good and bad really exist?

And perhaps, when I have time to think about these questions again, perhaps then I will pick up my quill and etch out a few more musings...

No comments:

Post a Comment